WILLIAMSVILLE, N.Y. - June 19 - Erie Community College had five student-athletes honored as 2011-12 NJCAA Academic Student-Athlete Award Winners. Over 1,680 NJCAA student-athletes met the requirements for individual academic honors. They were:
- Nicole Dispenza, women's soccer, 3.87 GPA (superior academic achievement winner)
- Angie Rodriguez, women's lacrosse, 3.92 GPA (superior academic achievement winner)
- Molly Gasuik, women's volleyball and women's softball, 3.6 GPA (exemplary academic achievement)
- Ryan Kaufman, men's hockey, 3.78 GPA (exemplary academic achievement)
- Tom Sciortino, men's hockey, 3.61 GPA (exemplary academic achievement).
Dispenza, a sophomore defender from East Aurora, N.Y., had a goal and an assist.
Rodriguez, a sophomore goalkeeper from Buffalo, N.Y./Midwood (N.J.), ranked sixth in the nation with a 10.9 goals-against average. Her 125 saves in 13 games ranked 10th in the nation.
Gasuik, a sophomore from Buffalo, N.Y./Mt. Mercy Academy, averaged 1.74 digs per set in volleyball and posted five wins as a pitcher for the softball team. She also hit one home run and drove in 15 runs.
Kaufman, a freshman defenseman from Amherst, N.Y./Sweet Home, appeared in 22 games for the Kats. He scored one goal and assisted on 12 others.
Sciortino, a sophomore goaltender from Amherst, N.Y, appeared in games and recorded a 3.899 goals-against average. He recorded a shutout against Mohawk Valley CC, Dec. 11, 2011.
The 2011-2012 season marks the 29th year the NJCAA has recognized the success of its student-athletes in the classroom.