Effective January 1, 2013, Erie Community College will be tobacco-free. This initiative will help ECC provide a healthy, comfortable, and safe tobacco-free environment for our students, faculty, staff, and visitors.
The new policy—recently approved by the ECC Board of Trustees—has the support of ECC's College Senate, Student Government Association, Wellness Committee, and four bargaining units. The policy bans tobacco use in all ECC facilities and on all ECC property. It also bans the sale or advertisement of tobacco products in all ECC facilities and on all ECC property.
Health risks associated with smoking are well documented. Research findings show that tobacco use, including smoking and breathing secondhand smoke, constitutes a significant health hazard. Smoking also contributes to institutional costs including fire damage, cleaning and maintenance, and costs associated with employee absenteeism, health care, and medical insurance. The tobacco industry spends a reported $41 million dollars per day promoting their products, targeting young people, specifically college students.
The college understands the addictive nature of smoking and the reality that breaking the habit is extremely difficult for many people. The college will make every effort to assist and encourage those who wish to stop smoking and will offer smoking cessation programs, accessible tobacco treatment, and counseling. Employees should contact the health office or human resources and students should contact the Student Government Association and their campus dean for assistance with smoking cessation.
Tobacco-Free Policy and Cessation Contacts
Erie Community College Human Resources
- Eileen Flaherty – Director of Human Resources 716-851-1844
- John Ford – Assistant Director of Human Resources 716-270-5735
- Rebecca Runkel – Chemical Safety Officer 716-851-1816
- Shannon Waddell – Coordinator of Tobacco Cessation Center – North 716-845-8246
- Anthony G. Billoni – Director of the Erie Niagara Tobacco-Free Coalition 716-845-3407
- Action for Mental Health of Kenmore – Nicotine Anonymous 716-871-0581
- Cuba Memorial Hospital of Cuba – Smoking Cessation 585-968-2000 ext. 247
- Eastern Niagara Hospital of Lockport – Smoking Cessation 716-514-5580
- Kaleida Health: Buffalo General Hospital – Smoking Cessation 716-839-1890
- Kaleida Health: The Mclaughlin Center at DeGraff Memorial Hospital – Smoking Cessation 716-690-2074
- Mt. St. Mary's Hospital and Health Center of Lewiston – Quit Smoking Now: Do Your Lungs and Family a Favor! 716-298-2145
- Roswell Park Cancer Institute of Buffalo – InhaleLife Tobacco Cessation Quitline 1-877-500-2393
- Blue Cross and Blue Shield – Smoking Cessation classes and programs 716-884-2800
Related General Contacts and Links