Erie Community College men's basketball player God's Gift Achiuwa (Port Harcourt, Rivers, Nigeria) has been named the Region III Male Athlete of the Year. Achiuwa is currently attending St. John's University and will continue his collegiate basketball career with the Red Storm.
Achiuwa is the first male ECC athlete to win the award. ECC's Anna Bogdanets was a co-winner of the 2007-08 Female Athlete of the Year award.
A two-time NJCAA All-America selection, Achiuwa led the Kats to a 28-4 record and a fourth-place finish at the NJCAA Tournament this past season. A first-team All-America pick, he ranked ninth in NJCAA scoring at 22.3 points per game, 10th in rebounding with 11.7 boards and 17th in blocks with 2.2 rejections per contest.
The 2011 Region III Player of the Year and Region III Tournament Most Valuable Player, he finished his career with 1,092 points and 765 rebounds. He posted 23 double-doubles, including 11 consecutive and even recorded a triple-double against Essex (N.J.) CC (Nov. 12, 2010) with 25 points, 24 rebounds and 12 blocked shots. Achiuwa scored 32-or-more points four times with a season-high 39 points coming against Monroe C.C. (Feb. 8, 2011).
As a freshman in 2009-10, he helped lead ECC to a 27-2 record and averaged 13.1 points, 13.5 rebounds and 2.1 blocks per game en route to earning NJCAA third team All-America and Region III Co-Player of the Year honors.
2010-11 Academic Highlights
- NJCAA Award for Exemplary Academic Achievement
- Honorable Mention Selection for NATYCAA's Scholar-Athlete Award
- Western New York Athletic Conference All-Academic Squad
- All-Region III Academic Team
2010-11 Athletic Highlights
- First team NJCAA All-America
- Named to the All-NJCAA Division III Tournament team
- Western New York Athletic Conference Senior Male Athlete of the Year
- Region III Player of the Year
- Region III Tournament Most Valuable Player
- Chosen Region III Male Athlete of the Week three times
- Lawrence C. Spring Male Athlete of the Year award winner (ECC honor)
- Richard R. Dry Award winner – ECC men’s basketball most valuable player
- Third team NJCAA All-America
- Region III Co-Player of the Year
- Western New York Athletic Conference Freshman Co-Athlete of the Year
- Averaged 13.1 points, 13.5 rebounds and 2.1 blocks per game