Admissions and Registration
Home  >  Admissions and Registration  >  Transfer Students  >  Frequently Asked Questions  

Frequently Asked Questions

Will my credits transfer?

SUNY Univesity of New York (SUNY) Mobility is our seamless transfer policy, all SUNY A.A. and A.S. graduates are guaranteed:

  • transfer up to 60 credits of course work toward a bachelor degree; and
  • transfer up to 30 credits of general education courses in ten subject areas.

If a student is planning to attend one of the WNY private colleges, ECC has articulation with most of the private colleges throughout WNY. (See articulation)

What is dual admission?

Dual admission is a special transfer program developed in conjunction with selected four-year colleges and universities. This program enables students to take advantage of some unique benefits. The Dual Admissions program is available for only certain colleges and certain majors. To participate in the program, a student must be enrolled in the appropriate parallel ECC curriculum and must meet the course and GPA guidelines of the four-year college.

What are the benefits of dual admission?

Specific benefits may vary from college to college. Some are:

  • No need to file a separate application to transfer
  • Guaranteed acceptance to the four-year college
  • Student's academic advisor at ECC is specially trained to advise students who are in Dual Admissions programs
  • Use of the ECC dual admission curriculum guides which list specific course requirements
  • Access to program advisors at the transfer college
  • Transfer college monitors the progress of students while they are enrolled at ECC
  • Transcripts forwarded to the transfer college at the end of each semester
  • Transfer with junior-level standing
  • Earlier Registration at the Transfer College
  • Ability to graduate from a four-year college after two years of full-time study

Who is eligible for dual admission?

ECC students with less than 30 credits completed are eligible for dual admission. Students with credits completed at another college are not eligible. (exceptions: college credit courses taken while still enrolled in high school or while in the military)

How do I apply for dual admission?

Students can apply for dual admission after meeting with a counselor in Student Support Service Center. To set up an appointment, call the Student Support Service Center or stop in any of our convenient locations on your home campus.

Can students transfer to one of the dual admission colleges, even if they are not enrolled in a Dual Admissions program?

Absolutely. In fact, most students who transfer use the traditional transfer application process. A student should complete the appropriate application form available in the Student Support Service Center or from the four-year college admissions office. Transfer assistance, including application procedures and information regarding GPA and course requirements, is available from the Student Support Service Center. Since application deadlines vary from college to college, the application process should begin at least one semester prior to the semester one wishes to enroll.

If a student doesn't complete the requirements of the Dual Admissions program, can they still attend the four-year college?

Yes, however the student must submit a traditional application. It is the responsibility of the student to monitor their progress toward degree requirements. If he/she foresees that the requirements will not be fulfilled, then a separate application process must be followed.

What if a student who is enrolled in dual admission changes his/her mind and decides to transfer to a different college or a different major?

If the student is under 30 credit hours and if the new major/college has a dual admission agreement, the student may reapply for dual admission in the new major. If the student has completed over 30 credit hours or the college/major is not covered by a dual admission agreement, then the student may use the traditional transfer process.

Can students attend other four-year colleges not included under the Dual Admissions program?

Definitely. In fact ECC graduates have transferred to various colleges and universities. Students are encouraged to identify the college of their choice as soon as possible, so that appropriate academic plans can be designed to ensure proper course selection and transfer of credit.

What GPA is required?

The overall GPA and other admission requirements vary by major and college. Admission requirements are listed on the curriculum guides for each program covered under the dual admission agreements.

What if a student drops out of ECC for a semester?

In order to remain in the Dual Admissions program, students must maintain continuous enrollment in good academic standing. Students who leave ECC and subsequently wish to return to the Dual Admissions program must reapply to the college and be accepted for the Dual Admissions program. Returning students must have completed less than 30 credits. They are subject to the curricular requirements and policies in force at the time they resume their studies. Students who maintain continuous matriculated status will not be affected by any curricular changes unless these changes are in their best interest.

Can a student who previously attended another college enroll in the Dual Admissions program?

No, these students must apply for transfer through the traditional application process. They are encouraged to utilize the transfer services in our Student Support Service Centers to assist them in taking their next steps.


For emergency closings and announcements, call 716-851-1111. © 2010 Erie Community College. All rights reserved.