Financial Aid
Home  >  Financial Aid  >  Federal Aid Programs  >  Eligibility  

Federal Aid Programs: Title IV

  • Federal PELL Grant
  • Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG)
  • Federal Work-Study Program (FWS)
  • Federal Direct Stafford Loans (subsidized & unsubsidized)
  • Federal Direct PLUS Loan (Parent Loan for Undergraduate Students)


In general, a student is eligible for federal aid if he/she meets the following requirements:

  • Enrolled at least part-time for any grant, loan, or work- study program. (Six credit hours for SEOG, loans, work-study, and one credit hour for PELL) 
  • Matriculated, that is, accepted into a program through the admissions process and maintained attendance since being accepted.
  • Be a U.S. citizen or an eligible non-citizen.
  • Demonstrate financial need. Filing of FAFSA form is required to determine need.
  • Making satisfactory progress in his/her course of study.
  • Not in default on a Perkins Loan (NDSL), Federal Stafford Student Loan (formerly GSL), or Federal PLUS/SLS Loan.
  • Does not owe a refund on a Federal PELL Grant or a Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG).
  • Males must have registered with Selective Service when required.


If selected for “verification,’’ the student must submit additional data to the Financial Aid Office to document information stated on FAFSA. Prior year tax returns, verification worksheet, documentation of  child support, and proof of independence (if applicable) are some of the items the student may be asked to provide. Verification must be completed before any federal funding will be disbursed.

Special Condition Application

When students apply for federal student financial aid, income information from the preceding year (referred to as base year income) is used to calculate eligibility. For the 2011-12 award year, 2010 income information is used. However, if the family’s income changes drastically for the worse after 2010 due to unemployment, a loss of non-taxable income or benefits, separation or divorce, or death, students may be eligible to file for a special condition calculation. See the Financial Aid Office for details. Applies to federal aid programs only.


For emergency closings and announcements, call 716-851-1111. © 2010 Erie Community College. All rights reserved.