In 2006, Erie Community College celebrated its 60th anniversary. In
the past six decades, the college has grown from a small two-year
technical institute to a three-campus college serving more than 14,000
students. Today, ECC is the second largest college in Western New York.
On April 4, 1946, the Legislature of the State of New York,
recognizing the need for technical-vocational education at the junior
college level, established the New York State Institute of Applied Arts
and Sciences at Buffalo as one of the five, tuition-free, two-year
technical institutes for high school graduates.
Two years later, in 1948, when the New York State Legislature founded
the State University of New York, the Institute at Buffalo became one
of the units of the University. On September 1, 1953, while maintaining
ties with the State University of New York, Erie County assumed
sponsorship of the college, changing its name to the Erie County
Technical Institute (ECTI).
Subsequently, in 1960, the Erie County Technical Institute moved to
the present site of the North Campus at 6205 Main Street in
Williamsville, NY; and, in 1969, the name of the college was once again
changed, this time to its present designation, Erie Community College
In 1971, the City Campus, housed in the former Bishop O’Hern High
School in downtown Buffalo, opened, making ECC the first multi-campus
college in New York State outside of New York City.
The South Campus opened in the fall of 1974, providing accessibility
for those in the southern parts of the county. In January of 1982, the
City Campus moved into its refurbished quarters in the heart of Buffalo.
Through the years, Erie Community College has undergone significant
changes as it has moved to serve its constituents with state-of-the-art
facilities, professionally accredited programs and an outstanding