Residency Policy


Under SUNY and ECC policy, legal residence means more than simply living in Erie County and New York State. More specifically, it means establishing a domicile as opposed to a temporary residence or physical presence incidental to enrollment in the College.

To be eligible for the resident tuition rate, a student must meet one of the following requirements:

1. Sponsor County Resident – Provide documentation of one year’s legal residency in New York State and six months in Erie County prior to the start date of the term. Documentation must clearly demonstrate New York State and Erie County residency for the six (6) month time period prior to the start of the term. The following are appropriate documentation of State and County legal residency. Students are required to provide one item from each list:

List A:

  • NYS income tax return (most recent filing year), on which the student is claimed as a dependent, and which also confirms a Erie County resident address. The return may belong to the student or a parent, depending on relevant filing status.
  • Proof of ownership of New York State and Erie County real property, in the student’s name.
  • Residential lease for property in Erie County. The student must either be the lessee OR listed as an additional tenant

List B:

  • New York State Driver’s License, Learner’s Permit or NYS non-driver identification card
  • New York State voter registration
  • New York State motor vehicle registration
  • Other New York State issued identification, including proof of NYS
    automotive liability insurance, provided that it includes an issue date and your legal resident address, subject to approval. 

2. Non-sponsor County Resident – Provide a Certificate of Residency from another county in New York State. The Certificate of Residency is a form issued to the student by the county in which they reside verifying their place of residence. To qualify for a Certificate of Residency, students must have lived in New York State for the past twelve (12) months. Residency is verified by the county in which they have lived for the six (6) months prior to attending college. If they have lived in more than one NY State county during those six (6) months, verification from each county will be required.

3. Foreign Students – Permanent resident cards must be dated one year prior to the start date of the term in which the student wishes to register in order to be considered for eligible resident tuition. You must also qualify under #1 or #2 above.

Students on F(student), B(visitor), J(exchange), C, D, H2, H3, M, o2, P, Q, R, or TN visas are not eligible for a resident rate of tuition.

Students who are holders of A1, A2, E1, H1, H4, and all G, I, and L visas are probably eligible to be considered as New York State residents if domiciled in New York State. However, an ECC Residency Verification Form must be filed by the student and reviewed by the Registrar’s Office for students in this
group. Students who fail to complete and return this form in order to confirm residency status after enrollment will automatically be charged the out-of- state tuition rate.

Under Section 355 of New York Education Law, active members of the armed forces, their spouses, and dependents stationed in New York are eligible for the resident rate. In order to attain the resident rate, the student must complete and return verification of active military status in New York. After the initial enrollment of the student, the continuation of their eligibility for the in-state tuition rate will be verified.

Certificate of Residency

Important Notice: Please give this matter your prompt attention.
Non-Resident Tuition/No Permit Charges will Remain on Your Account Until the Proper Certificate is Received

If you have been a legal resident of New York State for the past year BUT live outside Erie County, please review the notes and follow the instructions below.

Note #1: Timing is everything: The date to first apply for a Certificate of Residency is close to the Tuition Due Date. Applications cannot be notarized, nor Certificates issued, more than 60 days prior to the first term of use. A good rule of thumb is to wait to complete the application until after July 4 for the Fall term, after Thanksgiving for the Spring term, and after April 1st for the Summer term. The latest date to apply is approximately 3 weeks after the first day of the full term, leaving about a 75 to 80-day-window, during which you can complete the application process.

Note #2: When calculating the amount of tuition & fees to pay by a given term’s published Tuition Due Date, you cannot deduct the non-resident charges until your Certificate has been received and processed.

Instructions for Submitting Certificate of Residency Affidavit:

1. Download and complete the required “Certificate of Residency Application Form”. Cayuga, Nassau, and Oswego County Residents: Please view the county links for specific instructions for your home county.

2. Print the form and fill out the Residency Affidavit. Important – your signature on this application must be witnessed by a Notary Public. DO NOT SIGN until directed to do so by a notary. Most City Clerk and County Clerk Offices have a notary to notarize your application. You may also find a notary at any Bank or Credit Union.

3. All Non-Erie County Residents of New York State: present the completed, signed, and notarized Certificate of Residency Application to your County Treasurer for processing, along with proof of residency as required.

4. Once validated, your County Treasurer or Comptroller’s Office will retain your application form and give you a Certificate of Residency which is to be sent to the SUNY Erie Student Account Services (Bursar) Office. It is the student’s responsibility to ensure their certificate is received by the Bursar Office on time. You must submit the original Certificate, not a copy. Call your County Treasurer if you have any questions about this procedure. Links for each county are available here.

Questions? — Call the Bursar Office: (716) 851-1888 or (716) 851-1897

Cayuga County Residents:
Cayuga County has its own specific form and requirements. Access the required Application for Certificate of Residence for Community Colleges form and instructions. The Cayuga County Treasurer can be reached at 315-253-1211.

Nassau County Residents: Nassau County will use their own specific form effective 7/1/2019. Also, Nassau County has launched an online application system, which is now the preferred method for you to apply for your COR. View Nassau County COR web pages. The Nassau County Treasurer can be reached at 516-571-2090.

Oswego County Residents: Oswego County has its own specific form and requirements. Access the required Oswego County Application for NYS Community College Certificate of Residence form and instructions. The Oswego County Treasurer can be reached at 315-349-8393.