Driver Safety Programs
Programs focus on each individual driver's responsibility to interact lawfully within the traffic system to create and maintain a safe environment for all drivers. The curricula emphasizes personal accountability, awareness of laws and their impact on the whole community, and are designed specifically for the different needs and types of drivers in the different programs offered.
The division is the largest provider of safety training in New York State with more than 30 years of experience in delivering services to the judicial, substance abuse, safety and general community. The department offers the following training programs driven by market demand:
- New York State Driver Education Program: Classroom and in car training course. Successful completion qualifies the student for the MV 285 (DMV Certificate of Completion). Student will also receive a one year complimentary AAA basic membership.
- NYS Point and Insurance Reduction Program: This six-hour course is voluntary and is open to the public and local businesses. Benefits include a 10 percent reduction on liability and collision insurance and four points off driving record.
- NYS Five Hour Pre-licensing Program: This five-hour pre-licensing driver safety course is necessary for any driver applying for a driver's license in New York State who has not completed a driver education course.
- Driver Improvement Program (DIP): This three-hour course is available by court referral for traffic violators. One hundred Western New York courts use our training program to help the traffic violator improve his/her attitude toward driving.
- Risk Intervention Program: The Risk Intervention Program is a unique four-week traffic safety course for persistent or severe violators. This court referral program also reduces the fine and/or charge for the driver when the program is completed.
- New York State Drinking Driver Program (DDP): This 16-hour program is available only through a referral from the New York State DMV or as a condition of discharge from a court. The Drinking Driver Program is part of New York's effort to reduce both the personal and property losses caused by drivers under the influence of alcohol or drugs.
For more information, call the Office of Driving Training at 851-1820 or e-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org.