We would like to use cookies to store information on your computer, to improve our website. One of the cookies we use is essential for parts of the site to operate and has already been set. You may delete and block all cookies from this site, but parts of the site will not work. To find out more about the cookies we use and how to delete them, see our privacy notice. For privacy information for individuals within the European Union, see the SUNY GDPR privacy notice.
I accept cookies from this site.

Additional Loan Options

  • Additional Loan Options

    If your federal and state grants along with your Direct student loan do not fully cover your expenses, there are other loan options. Parents may apply for a Federal PLUS loan, or either the parent or student may apply for an Alternative loan.

    What is a PLUS loan?

    Federal PLUS loans are low-interest loans for parents of dependent students. These loans allow parents to borrow up to the student’s full cost of attendance.

    The Federal PLUS loan is not asset-based; approval is based on creditworthiness. If parents do not qualify for a PLUS loan, the student may be able to borrow additional funds through an unsubsidized Direct loan or an Alternative loan.

    How to Apply

    Parents of a dependent student may request the PLUS loan through the Office of Financial Aid or download the form here. It is the parents’ responsibility to repay this loan.

    Note: First time parent borrowers must complete a Master Promissory Note (MPN).


    • Must be a parent or guardian of the student
    • Credit approval
    • U.S. citizen or eligible non-citizen
    • Registered for at least 6 credit hours
    • Admitted in a degree or certificate program
    • U.S. citizen or eligible non-citizen
    • Good academic standing

    What is an Alternative loan?

    Alternative loans are private loans offered by banks and credit unions. These loans are credit-based and often have variable interest rates. Applicants with a limited credit history may be required to have a co-signer for this type of loan.

    If you have any questions on what option is best for you and your family, contact the Office of Financial Aid.

    Remember: Always apply for federal and state financial aid first.

  • Need Help?

    Financial Aid - Visit Us

    City Campus
    Student Support Center - Room O102A
    45 Oak Street
    Buffalo, NY 14203
    M8 a.m. - 6 p.m.
    Tu-Th8 a.m. - 4 p.m.
    Fri8 a.m. - 2 p.m.
    North Campus
    Spring Student Center - Room S201
    6205 Main Street
    Williamsville, NY 14221
    M, W, Th, and F8 a.m. - 4 p.m.
    Tu8 a.m. - 6 p.m.
    South Campus
    Building 5 - Room 5206
    4041 Southwestern Blvd.
    Orchard Park, NY 14127
    M, Tu, Th, and F8 a.m. - 4 p.m.
    W8 a.m. - 6 p.m.